General Church News
Wednesday, February 21, 2018
Honduras Ministry Trivia Night Fundraiser – 5:30 p.m. Saturday Feb. 24
The Honduras Ministry‘s Fifth Annual Trivia Night fundraiser will be held at 5:30 p.m. Feb. 24, 2018 at UUCC to benefit our Honduras work.
The political situation in Honduras is dire. Due to strikes and political unrest, many doctors and nurses aren’t working, and hospitals are closing. The health clinic in El Pital, where the UUCC Honduras Ministry offered Pap smears this past summer, is completely out of medicines and supplies even though there are still leishmaniasis cases. Recently there has been a respiratory illness affecting many people in the river valley. Funds raised at the Trivia Night will be used for clinic supplies and to support the microfinance group Adelante.
Tickets are $20, or $15 for students. Tickets may be purchased at the door.
The event will feature child care, good food, a silent auction, 50-50 raffles, a chili cook-off, and, of course, much trivia fun! Bring chili to share by 5:45 p.m. for a chance to win a beautiful Honduran bag!
“The Promise and the Practice” – Rev. Molly Housh Gordon
Unitarian Universalism has a very particular history that began in white protestant America and that has struggled to imagine a faith that truly de-centers dominant identities. This month, the Unitarian Universalist Association challenges its member congregations to explore what it would look like to move more marginalized identities to the center of our faith, and to raise funds for UU leaders of color doing just that. Join us to explore the promise and practice of our faith and to take a Faith-to-Action Collection for Black Lives of UU.
Meditation Basics – Lower Level-Centering Room at 10:05 a.m. Sunday
Those wanting to know more about meditation will have an opportunity to learn when “Meditation Basics” is presented on Sunday mornings in February in place of the usual Mindfulness Meditation sessions. The four sessions from 10:05 to 10:50 a.m. on Feb. 4, 11, 18 and 25 will include discussion and practice of the basic elements of mindfulness meditation. The sessions will be suitable for complete beginners and experienced meditators, and there is no requirement to attend all four sessions. The facilitator will be Peter Holmes, Ph.D.
- The UUCC Nominating Committee is seeking volunteers to serve as Board Trustees and as delegates to the annual General Assembly, this year held in Kansas City. Nominations for the Board of Trustees and GA delegates must be received by March 10. Do not be shy – self-nominations are encouraged.
If you would like to volunteer or nominate someone other than yourself, or if you have questions, email Rev. Molly or any of the Nominating Committee members, Kevin Fritsche, Maria Oropallo and Peter Holmes, using the email links below:
- The Women’s Alliance of First Unitarian Church, St. Louis, Is offering a scholarship of $3000 to a woman 21 years of age or older who is active in a Unitarian Universalist congregation and is pursuing post high school education. Please contact First Unitarian at 314-361-0595 for more information.”
- The Feb. 4, 2018 Faith-to-Action collection for Minority Men’s Network totaled $842.00
- The Social Action Team has postponed its regular monthly meeting from March 4 to March 11. Newcomers are always welcome!
- The UU Writer’s Group will meet on March 10 at 10:30 a.m. instead of March 3.
First Sundays—Newcomers: Getting to know UU
For those who want to know more about us.
1st Sunday of each month in Rev. Molly’s office
after second worship service for about 30 minutes.
Child care provided