The UUCC Social Action Team has the mission of mobilizing the congregation in support of social justice by bearing witness to and protesting social injustice, providing service to those in need, and raising funds for groups whose activities are consonant with the social justice mission of the church.
Scope of Activity
The Social Action Team carries out its mission by:
- Initiating activity the team deems appropriate to foster justice and dismantle systems of injustice.
- Helping our congregation participate with other faith communities and social justice organizations in the Columbia area in the organization and execution of demonstrations in support of the oppressed and in opposition to oppression. This may include rallies, marches, letter writing or simply being present when needed.
- Providing services, including but not limited to hosting the Room at the Inn, providing volunteer support for the homeless shelter, providing food and serving at Loaves and Fishes and by supporting the sanctuary mission of the church; supporting the work of other church teams – Sanctuary, Green Sanctuary, Honduras Project, Festival of Sharing – as needed when our work aligns or overlaps.
- Soliciting nominations of organizations that do social justice work as potential Faith-to-Action collection recipients; reviewing those nominations to ensure the organizations are ethical, transparent, financially responsible, and consistent with our seven principles; and making final selections of recipients.
- Educating ourselves and the congregation on issues of social justice, particularly anti-racism and socioeconomic inequality, and providing opportunities for the congregation to become more educated on those issues.
- Articulating our work with the ends statements approved by the UUCC Board of Trustees.
Meetings and Membership
The Social Action Team meets monthly on the first Sunday of each month from 12:30 to 2:00 p.m. in the Forum Room/Library on the lower level of the building. Our meetings include a potluck lunch, so please bring your appetite and a dish to share!
Meetings are open, and everyone is invited to attend and to join the Social Action Team. Membership in the church is strongly encouraged but not required.
SAT co-chairs are:
Find out more and join us!
To join the Social Action Team, please attend a monthly meeting. To find out more, you may also email the Social Action Team leadership.