Whereas the safety of all youth in the RE program is of ultimate concern; and whereas the Board of Trustees is aware that the church may be deemed liable during youth and all other UU sponsored activities; and whereas the church insurance company has made a recommendation, the following policy was adopted by the Board of Trustees at the 9-9-08 Board meeting:
- Adults over the age of 21 may be recruited to help transport youth to organized activities away from the church property.
- Any drivers so recruited will be required to submit copies of their driver’s license, proof of auto insurance, and car registration to the church annually before serving as a driver for scheduled youth activities.
- The Director of Religious Education will keep a record of same in his/her church office.
In addition, the Board of Trustees authorizes the Congregational Care Ministry to coordinate with adult drivers over the age of 21 to transport members or friends to church worship services, scheduled events, and/or medical appointments as a part of the Care Ministry of the church.
- Any drivers so recruited will be required to submit copies of their driver’s license, proof of auto insurance, and car registration to the church annually before serving as a driver for the Congregational Care Ministry.
- The Congregational Care Ministry Team Chair will keep a record of the required copies of documents in the Church Administrator’s office as a part of the official records.
All persons who use their own vehicles for church sponsored activities will be informed that their liability and physical damage auto insurance coverage is the primary coverage in case of claims.